Re: Backing track creation with LilyPond

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Backing track creation with LilyPond
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:11:33 -0500

On 02/13/2018 03:04 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
So I decided maybe sing this time.  I am out of training (obviously) but
by plastering reverb in and using LilyPond for creating the backing
track, I got something annoyingly useful at first pitch.  Now I just
need to figure out how to do a proper count-in, and I think I can do the
talk with that piece.  The take itself is short, so I should have plenty
of time messing up.  And I need to work on my voice the next few weeks.

So basically that is a "production with Ardour under Linux might be worth bothering with" pitch.

That’s excellent, David!

There are a couple of ways to do the count-in... I’ve made MIDI files in LilyPond that have a wood-block percussion on every beat, starting a couple of bars before everything else. You can open a multi-track MIDI in Ardour, I believe. It makes a good guide for multi-track vocals, too, to keep everything in tune. You can also make a click track in Ardour itself, which may turn out to be easier, though it can be harder to line up the MIDI with it, depending on how it all works out.

~Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd
Emperor Norton had the right idea.