Re: Backing track creation with LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Backing track creation with LilyPond
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:09:28 +0100

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2/14/2018 4:34 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> The mice were running around openly and rather visibly before that.
>> Already when the cats were confined to one stable cell, the difference
>> was staggering.  When they roamed freely, it was overwhelming.  They
>> couldn't have caught hundreds of mice in that time frame: it's just that
>> the visibility of the rodents dropped by wagonloads.
>
> http://www.laweekly.com/news/instead-of-being-put-down-these-feral-cats-are-being-put-to-work-8963106
>
> <quote>
>
> Cats are a natural rodent deterrent, even if they're not actively
> hunting. Mice can smell urinary proteins secreted by cats, snakes and
> other predators. According to a 2010 study at the Scripps Research
> Institute, mice don't recognize predators because of experiences with
> them but because they have evolved to do so. The mere scent of the
> urinary proteins found in cats triggers a fear response in mice.
>
> "It's not like they're even going after the rodents," Sathe says of
> the cats. "They're kind of like a sonic force."
>
> <end quote>

Well, I can attest to that.  Probably wasn't helpful that the previous
cat was house-broken to a degree that it always came back _in_ for its
cat box.  Though once the horrible, horrible kittens were roaming the
premises, he did no longer venture outside at all.

First time the female kitten paraded before the patio door, the big cat
easily three times its size panicked and did a running start like from a
Warner Bro's cartoon with wild sliding on the spot, hitting several
table legs like a pinball game ball, then rushing up the staircase and
ducking down at its top, peeking down trembling.

Pathetic.  The roommate moved in with her boyfriend who has an old
tomcat and several dogs.  Apparently now her cat is dominating over the
whole household and feared by cat and dogs alike.  But at our place, it
was completely hopeless.

--
David Kastrup