Re[2]: Re-direct write processes in Frescobaldi?

From: Trevor
Subject: Re[2]: Re-direct write processes in Frescobaldi?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:11:20 +0000

Andrew Bernard wrote on 17/02/2018 08:40:12

Myths about SSD's arise from early days. You have a new computer with presumably a current SSD. Such SSD's can sustain petabyte (that's petabyte) writes before they fail. If you write a terabyte of Frescobaldi data to the disk in a year, which is utterly unreasonable, you can expect to get 1000 years use out of it. The electronics in your computer will fail sometime in that period. :-) There are admittedly other factors relating to hard drive failure, but mechanical drives suffer the same factors.

I wish people would relax about this topic or read the extensive literature on contemporary drive testing,

Here's a five paragraph summary article on this type of testing:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/worried-about-ssd-wear-you-probably-dont-need-to-be/

There also exist many very learned papers on the same topic, showing very high endurance figures for consumer SSD's.
In spite of this my Samsung SSD has started to fail after around 4 years fairly intensive use in my main laptop, fortunately just a month after I invested in a new laptop (complete with SSD).  When the old SSD warms up, after little more than 15 mins use, it fails and causes my laptop to crash.  I know it's the SSD as it has the same effect on two laptops which are both fine with HDDs.  Of course it could be the electronics in the SSD rather than the store itself, but the effect is much the same.  Nevertheless the benefits far outweigh the dangers - just make sure you make frequent backups of anything critical, just as you would with any other type of drive.

Trevor