Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 03:18:22 -0800

That's a reasonable workaround, but it's not semantic. A single column markup is appropriate for one _expression_ split across lines IMO. If it's multiple expressions communicating distinct things, it makes sense to keep them separate, particularly if one or more of them are predefined markups.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:03 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Saul Tobin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that under certain circumstances (I think if the page spacing
> needs to be compressed?) Lilypond will disregard the vertical order of
> TextScripts. So something like:
>
> \relative c'' {
>   f4^"long long long"^"short" e'2.
> }
>
> By itself, this correctly displays the short indication above the long one.
> But sometimes Lilypond, in order to save space, will move the short
> indication below the long one. This is understandable, but it can lead to
> incorrect notation if the order matters. For example, indications of who is
> playing (e.g. solo or tutti) are generally supposed to go above indications
> of playing style or technique.
>
> Is there a way to force Lilypond to respect the specified vertical order of
> TextScripts? Ideally, not as a one time override or tweak but throughout an
> entire score.

Why don't you use a single textscript then?  Like

\relative c'' {
  f4^\markup \column { "long long long" "short" } e'2.
}

That way the order is strictly under your control.

--
David Kastrup