Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: Force Lilypond to preserve vertical order of TextScripts?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:26:12 -0800

I probably will write such a function to deal with my immediate needs, but I raise the issue because this is a case where Lilypond has well defined behavior MOST of the time, and then sometimes violates it. Normally, when you write ^"one"^"two" you expect "two" to be displayed above "one." It seems rather odd to need to write a special workaround to ensure that the normal behavior happens all the time, particularly since Lilypond's spacing algorithm in this case can violate notational conventions relating to the content of the text.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Torsten,

> Sometimes, the order of stacks /is/ important and you even can't always put
> them together into a \markup column

I didn’t refute that. I simply pointed out there is nothing in Lilypond to distinguish between when script order is important and when it's not — so she does what she does.

If someone requires order-dependent scripts, they should just write a little syntactic sugar to handle the situation.

Cheers,
Kieren.