Fermatas with tremolos

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Fermatas with tremolos
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:25:35 +0000

I want to engrave a fermata over a tremolo. What's the correct way of displaying this? I've looked on various fora and the consensus seems to be that the fermata sign should be midway between the notes.

The first two parts of the snippet below put it at the beginning or the end. The third one is is a bit better, but is still too far to the right. The 4th one is sort of OK, but a bit far to the left.

Is there a better way of aligning the fermata?

\version "2.19.52"

\language "english"

\repeat tremolo 16 {c'32\fermata c''}
\repeat tremolo 16 {c'32 c''\fermata}
<<
 { s2 s2^\markup { \fermata }}
 \\
{   \repeat tremolo 16 {c'32 c''} }

<<
 { s4 s2.^\markup { \fermata }}
 \\
{   \repeat tremolo 16 {c'32 c''} }

Regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com

Oops sorry - forgot to include the snippet.