Re: Fermatas with tremolos

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Fermatas with tremolos
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:10:11 -0500

Hi Harm,

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 5:47 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> you need to go for the grob's left/right-bounds in order to get their
> coordinates and move the fermata accordingly.
> Leads to:

Nice!

> Or use the method with tuplets, at least less invasive.

Yes… but if they were both syntactic sugar in some "black box" (e.g., the
codebase), I'd definitely prefer the first approach since it seems the least
hacky.

Perhaps even more "correct" — in terms of what’s being manipulated or not —
would be to use a text-centred spanner with a fermata as the text.
Unfortunately, David’s code is much heavier (in terms of lines of code) because
it does so much more than just centre a fermata over a tremolo… but if the
text-centred-spanner were already part of the base Lily code, that's probably
the method I would end up using to handle this situation.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info