Re: Syllable count

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Syllable count
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:29:48 -0600

On 2/19/2018 4:04 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:
#(display-scheme-music (length (ly:music-property lyr 'elements)))

And as I hoped, this can get syllable counts from music, too.

% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE
\version "2.19.80"
mus = { c'1 c'4 c'8 c'16 c'32 c'64 c'4 }
#(display-scheme-music (length (ly:music-property mus 'elements)))
% END LILYPOND CODE

I often work on 2-stave SATB or TTBB pieces that have multiple stanzas with all 4 parts using the same lyrics.

But then there's a chorus where any or all of the 4 parts have differing lyrics.

I usually end up adding an extra stanza of lyrics for those, and then going...

\repeat unfold #however-far { \skip 4 }

...until I get the extra stanza advanced to the place where the different lyrics begin. Determining the value for #however-far is usually trial-and-error for me. Sometimes this involves pointing at Frescobaldi and counting notes, going "one, two, three... sixty-four, sixty-five, sixty-six... let's see if that does it. Nope, too far - only needed 62, must have missed a slur somewhere."

Maybe there's a better way than repeat-skip for entering such lyrics?

If not, is there a function that when given music like...

...it would return 2 instead of 3, counting syllables just like lyrics would?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA