Re: Syllable count

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Syllable count
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:08:57 -0500

Hi Karlin,

> I don't find advice on how to best handle it when multiple stanzas of
> shared lyrics diverge into a chorus of many separate ones at a point
> dozens of bars into the song.

There are various ways of handling it, each with pros and cons depending on (a)
your experience with Lilypond, (b) whether you’re willing to do more work in
the first phases in order to have easy maintenance later on, (c) etc.

> 1. Is there a better way to do this?

"Better" is relative, I suppose. Here's one pretty simple way that doesn’t
require counting skips, but rather just copying+pasting the shared lyrics (n.b.
this can be made even more simple and maintainable with variables, but I didn't
want to add that complexity here):

\version "2.19.80"

omitLyrics = {
  \temporary \omit LyricText
  \temporary \omit LyricHyphen
  \temporary \omit LyricExtender
  \temporary \omit LyricSpace
}
showLyrics = {
  \undo \omit LyricText
  \undo \omit LyricHyphen
  \undo \omit LyricExtender
  \undo \omit LyricSpace
}

SopranoMusic = { e'4 f' g' a' | c''1 }
AltoMusic = { c'4 d' e' f' | g'2 g' }
TenorMusic = { a4 b c' d' | e'4 e' e' e' }
BassMusic = { c4 c c c | c8 c c c c c c c }

\score {
 \new ChoirStaff <<
   \new Staff = "women" {
     <<
       \new Voice = "soprano" { \voiceOne \SopranoMusic }
       \new Voice = "alto" { \voiceTwo \AltoMusic }
       \new NullVoice = "tenorwords" { \TenorMusic }
       \new NullVoice = "basswords" { \BassMusic }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" {
         All to -- geth -- er now
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "alto" {
         \omitLyrics All to -- geth -- er \showLyrics now now
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "tenorwords" {
         \omitLyrics All to -- geth -- er \showLyrics now now now now
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "basswords" {
         \omitLyrics All to -- geth -- er \showLyrics now now now now now now
now now

   \new Staff = "men" {
     \clef bass
     <<
       \new Voice = "tenor" { \voiceOne \TenorMusic }
       \new Voice = "bass" { \voiceTwo \BassMusic }

> Now, omitting the grobs - I'm thinking that means "make things
> disappear." The notes? The lyrics? Some other graphic object?

Hopefully the snippet above clarifies what I meant.

As I said, there are other ways of accomplishing the same visual effect.
Perhaps one day I'll get around to putting together some tutorials/comparisons
of all the different ways (he says, optimistic as always, but almost surely
delusional as always).

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer