Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver

From: Stefano Troncaro
Subject: Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:26:18 -0300

I completely missed development1.ly, that is great! The way the proc is managed is particularly useful. It seemed to me that all the ingredients for a convenience function are already there.

I am undecided on what the best interface for it would be though, since as Urs already mentioned there are trade-offs with each possibility. I too think that a discussion should be had about that, to see what use-cases and needs arise. How do you usually do that here? Do you make a new thread asking users for feedback?

Thank you all for your responses to my original post, and for the
ensuing discussion which I am following with great interest.  I shall
not reply to each response individually, mainly because I have little
to offer that would be constructive: I made my original post because it
was my view as a complete "newbie" to Edition Engraver, and sometimes
comments from a naive user can be useful.

To pick out a few points:

On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 12:32 +0000, Urs Liska wrote:

> 19. Februar 2018 12:00, "David Sumbler" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> > \editionMod test {
> >   1 {
> >     0/4 Voice \(
> >     1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'ExtenderEvent)
> >     2/8 Voice [
> >   }
> >   2 {
> >     0/4 {
> >       Score {
> >         \time 3/4
> >         \tempo "Allegro" 4=135
> >       }
> >       Voice {
> >         \p
> >         \<
> >       }
> >     }
> >     1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'HyphenEvent)
> >   }
> > }
>
> I think it can't be made to work since it's quite un-
> LilyPond-y.

Perhaps not, looking at it from a functional point of view.  But
structurally (i.e. from the human editor's point of view) it is very
similar to something we are used to, such as:

\book {
  \score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new GrandStaff <<
        \new Staff { \violinOne }
        \new Staff { \violinTwo }

      \new Staff { \cello }

    \layout {
    }
    \midi { }

and I reckon that even I could knock some Scheme together which would
convert it back to the standard basic form where each line starts with
\editionMod.  But as a stand-alone program, which is all I could
manage, that would not be practical.

> What about something like (just a shot in the dark)

> \edMods test \with {
>   a = \with {
>     m = 1
>     mods = {
>       \eMod 1/4 Lyrics #(make-music 'ExtenderEvent)
>       \eMod 0/4 Voice \(
>     }
>   }
>   b = \with {
>     m = 2
>     mods = {
>       \eMod Score \tempo "Allegro" 4=135

That might be useful for an expert but, for me, it would not help in
finding my way around what might be quite a big file.

On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 15:34 +0100, Jan-Peter Voigt wrote:
> Hi David,

> Urs already answered. I understand your concerns about the input
> and I
> am always open for ideas to ease the input for the edition-engraver.

Great!  My purpose in making the original suggestion was to suggest the
kind of thing that might be useful.

David