Re: LilyPond 2.19.81 for Linux/Ubuntu

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.19.81 for Linux/Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 18:44:45 -0600

On Tue 20 Feb 2018 at 16:21:19 (-0500), Ralph Palmer wrote:

> I went to the download site < ​
> http://lilypond.org/downloads/binaries/linux-64/ >, and tried to download <
> lilypond-2.19.81-1.linux-64.sh >. When I right-clicked on the .sh link,
> there was no "download" option, so I opened it in a separate tab. The
> browser tried to load it as a text file. I was able to right-click on the
> page and do a "save as", with a ".sh" extension, but when I tried to open
> it through terminal, it said "sh: 0: Can't open
> lilypond-2.19.81-1.linux-64.sh". Any suggestions? I just tried again, both
> in /Downloads and at my :~$ prompt, and in both cases got "sudo: ​​sh​​:
> command not found".

If you navigate to the link for a large download, the best way
to fetch it is to rightclick on the link and select
Then, at the commandline, type   wget <space>   and paste the link.

wget
http://lilypond.org/downloads/binaries/linux-64/lilypond-2.19.81-1.linux-64.sh

If the link has spaces in it, enclose it in "".

What's the benefit? If the download is interrupted and you have to
repeat it, make sure you're in the same directory and, when you
restart it, it'll will carry on from where it got up to.

The LilyPond binary is marginal, but the documentation tarball is huge.

Cheers,
David.