Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: A couple of questions about Edition Engraver
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 09:48:47 -0500

Hi Stefano,

>> 4. Things would be way easier if the EE (and/or Frescobaldi) had a method to
>> highlight (colour-ing the grobs?) all mods, and a linking  method to
>> navigate to the correct spot in the edition file. There was an example of
>> this [colouring part] some time ago, but I don't know if it was "taken to
>> the goal line"; it's worth looking at.
>
> You are referring to overrides and such, right?

Yes. (See the thread including
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-05/msg00195.html> for
more details.)

> Because objects inserted into the score via the EE do link properly (from
> what I've seen).

Yes.

> This also "works" with mod lists, it is impractical however because the link
> is to the object, which is always at the start of the list, and then you have
> to navigate the list to find the proper moment. Not ideal but certainly
> better than nothing. However, it's for this reason that I was thinking about
> making a wrapper to make input with individual commands more convenient.

Here's hoping we find an interface that really makes the process dead simple!

> By the way, working with code such as your Mary Had a Little Lamb has to be a
> nightmare.

Ha! Of course, I never write scores like that… but working with modLists makes
me feel like I'm working with that kind of structure.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info