Multiple staffs

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Multiple staffs
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 23:05:27 +0000

I'm trying to set a composition which starts with a single instrument
before bringing in the whole ensemble.  I don't want to break it up into
multiple scores because I want the midi to play through as a single
performance.

I've tried many ways to do this with little success.  The latest attempt
was (copied from the learning manual, §A.4.5) :

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "SoloVoice" << introPart >>
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "SopranoVoice" << \descantRecorderPart >>
      \new Voice = "BassVoice" << \tenorRecorderPart >>

  \layout { }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4=60

but this errors at the first voice complaining that introPart is not a
note name.  IntroPart is actually:

introPart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Tenor"
  midiInstrument = "recorder"
} { \clef treble \intro }

I've also tried:

\score {
   \introPart
    <<
      \descantRecorderPart
      \tenorRecorderPart

  \layout { }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4=60

which errors with "Spurious expression in \score" <<

I've also tried every variant of the last form that I can think of.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction?