Re: Multiple staffs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multiple staffs
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 00:17:10 +0100

J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to set a composition which starts with a single instrument
> before bringing in the whole ensemble.  I don't want to break it up into
> multiple scores because I want the midi to play through as a single
> performance.
>
> I've tried many ways to do this with little success.  The latest attempt
> was (copied from the learning manual, §A.4.5) :
>

> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Voice = "SoloVoice" << introPart >>
>     \new Staff <<
>       \new Voice = "SopranoVoice" << \descantRecorderPart >>
>       \new Voice = "BassVoice" << \tenorRecorderPart >>
>     >>
>   >>
>   \layout { }
>   \midi {
>     \tempo 4=60
>   }
> }
>
> but this errors at the first voice complaining that introPart is not a
> note name.  IntroPart is actually:
>
> introPart = \new Staff \with {
>   instrumentName = "Tenor"
>   midiInstrument = "recorder"
> } { \clef treble \intro }

No, it isn't.  It is a word.  You are confusing introPart and \introPart
here.

> I've also tried:
>
> \score {
>    \introPart
>     <<
>       \descantRecorderPart
>       \tenorRecorderPart
>     >>
>   \layout { }
>   \midi {
>     \tempo 4=60
>   }
> }
>
> which errors with "Spurious expression in \score" <<

Well, yes.  Now you write \introPart (which _is_ a music expression) and
follow it with << ... >>, another music expression.

> I've also tried every variant of the last form that I can think of.  Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?

The first one is fine, but the reference to introPart (as opposed to the
definition) needs to start with a backslash.

--
David Kastrup