Re: LilyPond/LaTeX template for Anglican chant

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: LilyPond/LaTeX template for Anglican chant
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:54:12 -0600

On 2/24/2018 5:27 PM, Michael Gerdau wrote:
I have yet to convince myself that I want to use LaTeX though.

I've never yet done a major project with any sort of TeX. But I am considering it. Here's the biggest selling point for me:

Donald Knuth, "The Future of TeX and METAFONT"
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb11-4/tb30knut.pdf

"I strongly believe that an unchanging system has great value, even though it is axiomatic that any complex system can be improved. Therefore I believe that it is unwise to make further "improvements" to the systems called TEX and METAFONT. Let us regard these systems as fixed points, which should give the same results 100 years from now that they produce today."

If it wasn't for that, I'd settle for "permanent beginner" status regarding TeX. The developers of the SQLite database have a similar statement - something about the databases we create with it today should be readable by our grandchildren.

To me, the "durability" of many recent development platforms seems terrible. Software promoted as THE FUTURE today, with implied disparagement of anyone not embracing it, might well have its originator actively trying to kill it off within 5 years.

<Begin conversation between a developer and a software provider>

Developer: "The new environment has some features I really like, but is missing a few other things I completely depend on."

Provider: "Those missing features will be added in future releases."

(Time passes)

Developer: "Are the missing features available yet?"

Provider: "Actually, we have an exciting new product to tell you about! We've completely re-imagined everything again."

<Return to start of conversation>

Okay, back to topic. I've never had much exposure to Anglican chant before. I found the Wikipedia article and a few recordings, and I can see it has great possibilities. What would be good "demo" pieces for people who've never heard Anglican chant before?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA