Re: Multiple staffs

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Multiple staffs
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 12:36:02 +0000

On 24/02/18 23:17, David Kastrup wrote:
> J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to set a composition which starts with a single instrument
>> before bringing in the whole ensemble.  I don't want to break it up into
>> multiple scores because I want the midi to play through as a single
>> performance.
>>
>> I've tried many ways to do this with little success.  The latest attempt
>> was (copied from the learning manual, §A.4.5) :
>>

>> \score {
>>   <<
>>     \new Voice = "SoloVoice" << introPart >>
>>     \new Staff <<
>>       \new Voice = "SopranoVoice" << \descantRecorderPart >>
>>       \new Voice = "BassVoice" << \tenorRecorderPart >>
>>     >>
>>   >>
>>   \layout { }
>>   \midi {
>>     \tempo 4=60
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> but this errors at the first voice complaining that introPart is not a
>> note name.  IntroPart is actually:
>>
>> introPart = \new Staff \with {
>>   instrumentName = "Tenor"
>>   midiInstrument = "recorder"
>> } { \clef treble \intro }
>
> No, it isn't.  It is a word.  You are confusing introPart and \introPart
> here.

<snip>

> The first one is fine, but the reference to introPart (as opposed to the
> definition) needs to start with a backslash.

----
I accidentally replied to David rather than to the group.  Here is my
reply to him and a subsequent follow up.
----

Thankyou, that was a silly basic mistake.  Having corrected that it does
compile, but the output is wrong.  I get a staff of 5 staves: blank, the
one from intro, another blank and the the descant ant tenor parts.  What
I'm after is the intro part as a single line first, then the staff with
two staves.

A few more facts: the intro uses the cadenzaOn switch to allow the
setting of plain chant.  The main part of the piece has four parts
(possibly more) and is in normal modern time.  I've cut it down to two
lines only as a test measure.

Thanks for you help,
Martin

----

I was further playing around this morning and am back to:

\score {
  \introPart
  \layout { }
%  \midi {
%    \tempo 4=60
%  }
}

\score {
  <<
    \descantRecorderPart
    \tenorRecorderPart

  \layout { }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4=60

which lays out correctly.  However I now have the original problem that
the midi is in two separate files and under Frescobaldi only the first
one plays.

Regards,
Martin