Re: Function to override the stem direction and flag of a single note?

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Function to override the stem direction and flag of a single note?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:12:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi Andy,

You don't need a special function for this, it's all contained in the
standard.

I've constructed a parallel context (with <<...\\...>>) thus having two
voices with opposite stem directions.
The upper noteheads will automatically be merged.

Now for the tricky part (the 16th flags): First, I've set \autoBeamOff in
the upper voice to get single flags.
Secondly, I've entered 16th notes (to get the semiquaver tails), but
rhythmically made quavers out of them by multiplying their value by 2 (16*2
= 8).
As a result, you get the desired 16th flags where practically there are 8th
notes:

\version "2.19.81"

\relative {
  << { \autoBeamOff e''16*2 e e e } \\
     { <a,, e''>8 * <c e'>    } >>
}

Another (simpler) way is to insert invisible rests between ordinary
semiquavers:

\relative {
  << { e''16 s e s e s e s } \\
}

But there's a more or less serious drawback (depending on the overall
spacing, the contents of other staves in the system, etc): the note spacing
will be unnaturally widened (with respect to ordinary quaver spacing).

semiquaver-quavers.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/semiquaver-quavers.png>

HTH,
Torsten