Re: LilyPond Downloads broken?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LilyPond Downloads broken?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:33:42 -0000

a) Han-Wen
b) Jan

--
Phil Holmes

----- Original Message -----
From: Urs Liska
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 3:22 PM

Am 07.03.2018 um 16:11 schrieb Phil Holmes:
The lack of the latest files on the linuxaudio site isn't something I can fix.  My understanding is that the situation used to be that lilypond.org used to run a cron job that scp'ed the binaries to linuxaudio.  However, this stopped working when a) Han-Wen changed the hosting of lilypond.org or b) there was a problem with linuxaudio and it had to be rebuilt.

I assume it was the latter. Somewhere I read a blog post about their server being hacked and completely rebuilt in a new infrastructure. Obviously our uploads don't work anymore since then.

I assume that there is not the correct certificate on the new lilypond.org system.

The cron job was set up by Jan, and the login I use has no access to it.

The simplest solution might be to change to simply pointing all downloads to the lilypond.org server.  I think we didn't do this in the past to lower the load on the server, but the new infrastructure might not see that as a problem.

Well, at least currently it's the problem that the links point to a 404 error page.
a) Who knows whether it is acceptable to permanently host the binaries on lilypond.org (somehow I doubt that is an option)?
b) Who knows how much work it will be to get the hosting on linuxaudio.org to be working again?
If either a) is the way to go or b) is suspect of taking more time (than say, a few days) we should temporarily update the links on the download page.

Urs

Copied to Jan and Han-Wen for their thoughts.

--
Phil Holmes