Re: Having trouble understanding optional and variable amount of argumen

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Having trouble understanding optional and variable amount of arguments
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 16:52:34 +0100

Am 08.03.2018 um 16:42 schrieb Stefano Troncaro:
@Urs
Great! I tested it a bit and it seems to be working as intended.

I have forgotten one thing that I've only halfway completed by now: "accepted" properties without type checking. Currently, if the "strict" flag is set, only keys present in the rules are accepted. But these are also expected, so what's still missing is a way to specify rules as optional so we can filter unknown properties but still have optional ones. I've started on it and I think I know how to do it but I had to leave the computer.

I'm curious about the "complains about the wrong type for 'target'" part though. I remembered that words when typed like that were symbols, so I did this to check it out:
\version "2.19.80"
\include "oll-core/package.ily"
#(use-modules (oop goops))

obj = something

testType =
#(define-void-function (obj) (scheme?)
   (display (format "'~a' is of type '~a'\n" obj (class-of obj))))

\testType \obj

checkIfSym =
#(define-void-function (obj) (symbol?)
   (display (format "'~a' of type '~a' passed the symbol? test\n" obj (class-of obj))))

\checkIfSym \obj

testTypeInCM =
#(define-void-function (cm) (ly:context-mod?)
   (let ((props (context-mod->props cm)))
     (for-each (lambda (prop)
                 (testType (cdr prop)))
       props)))

\testTypeInCM \with {
  target = NoteHead
  anothertarget = "NoteHead"
  yetanothertarget = #'NoteHead
}

%Gives this output:
%'something' is of type '#<<class> <string> 7f52818c4d40>'
%'something' of type '#<<class> <symbol> 7f52818c4c60>' passed the symbol? test
%'NoteHead' is of type '#<<class> <string> 7f52818c4d40>'
%'NoteHead' is of type '#<<class> <string> 7f52818c4d40>'
%'NoteHead' is of type '#<<class> <symbol> 7f52818c4c60>'
Also, I thought that predicates were just type checks. But in the second example it looks like the symbol? predicate made scheme think of the object as a symbol instead of a string. I find this kind of confusing, is there something else going on that I'm not seeing?

If I'm not mistaken completely this part may seem somewhat ambigous.
If you simply type some characters (in LilyPond) they are initially a string. But if you make the parser "expect" something at a given point it will parse it like that. if you define an argument for a define-something-function as symbol? then plain characters will be parsed as a symbol. But in the key=value parts of a \with block they are parsed as string.
This is something one just has to know - just like the fact that you have to enclose a string in quotes if it contains spaces or similar issues.

Best
Urs

@David
Thank you. The define-syntax and syntax-rules thing looked easier to understand at first glance so I tried to use that. I'll experiment with macros then.