Re: Having trouble understanding optional and variable amount of argumen

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Having trouble understanding optional and variable amount of arguments
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 00:26:40 +0100

> @David, Harm
> I didn't know 1.8 was not maintained anymore. I imagine we're still using it
> because updating it would take a lot of work (and create instability) and
> dev time is better placed elsewhere, or something among those lines, am I
> right?

Well, guilev2 is deeply different from guilev1 in many ways.
David K may say more about the details or look into the archives.
After guille-2.0 was released we were not able to build LilyPond with
guilev2 for 5(?) years !

I'm now can build LilyPond from the git-repository with guile-2.2.3 in
a local branch.
Though, I need to apply several patches mostly from David K and
Antonio Ospite and I need to disable some functionality, which I don't
know to fix.
My kowledge of C++ is more or less zero...

>From a users point of view the biggest disadvantage is the speed of lilypond.
I think guile-2.0.12 was the first guile-version which could be made
work for us. Lilypond speed was down to a _factor_ of 5-10, iirc
Admittedly things improved during further guile-development.

I'm not sure how the values are nowadays, I should redo testings...

For the programmers David may want to chime in.
I'd like to mention only to major points:
- Encoding problems
- We have no infrastructure for precompiled .go-files.

Both or mostly beyond my knowledge :(

> Also, Harm, is that guilev2-lilypond that you named v2.21.0 a
> personal thing or is it something that is coming after the stable 2.20
> release is done?

I compile lilypond from the repository. Doing it from master will
result in 2.21.0.
The branch stable/2.20 is meant to become the next stable release.
Current devel-versions are compiled from this branch iirc.

Best,
  Harm