Absolute temporal positioning of mm-rests

From: Arttu Punkkinen
Subject: Absolute temporal positioning of mm-rests
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 12:45:33 +0200

Hi!

I was wondering, if there is a way to specify a multimeasure rest which length is only relatively defined so that it ends at predetermined bar number?

I often find myself needing to adjust or add material between multimeasure rests, which currently need manual adjustment to keep alignment.

An example.
R1*4
c4 d e f
R1*4
g4 g g g

Now if we adjust the length of the middle section there, we need to adjust multimeasure rests accordingly.

R1*4
c4 d e f
g4 e d c
R1*3
g4 g g g

So, if we had some "absolute bar alignment", it might make orchestral music a bit easier.

Like...

\restUntil #5
c4 d e f
\restUntil #9
g4 g g g

Or do we perhaps already have a way for that?

Regards
Arttu Punkkinen