Re: fisisis impossible?

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: fisisis impossible?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 22:22:38 +0100

Hey,

thanks for the info :-) .

I thought about something like that, but now how to get that in "\chordmode". I make a \chordmode entry for both the chord names and the diagrams, looks like this would only work on notes.

I know it is a rare situation in which triple sharps and flats are used.

But out of curiousity I looked at the the big shots: finale handles it without any problem for quite a while (just read a post from 2013: https://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=404097),
and sibelius made it easier (but it was possible earlier) only since 2017 in an update of a plugin (http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugins/index.html?plugin=411).

So I guess the demand for handling them is there, or they wouldn't develop it for sure.

grtz
Bart

Hi Bart,

fisisis is not part of the input language (of any defined input
language). So from this technical point, it can't work.

I wanted to write that there is no symbol for it. But then I found this:
http://dictionary.onmusic.org/terms/3687-triple_sharp

> Etude no. 10 from Douze etudes dans tous les tons mineur, Op. 39 (1857), by Charles-Valentin Alkan.

You can make a fisis look like a fisisis by this override (which can
surely be made more elegant or turned into a tweak):

\version "2.19.80"

isisis = {
  \once \override Accidental.stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
  \once \override Accidental.text = \markup {
    \concat {
      \musicglyph #"accidentals.sharp"
      \musicglyph #"accidentals.doublesharp"
\relative {
  \isisis fisis'
}

It's not impossible that these triple-accidentals could be added to both
the input language and the music font. However, I am not convinced that
it should be used :)

Best,
Joram