Re: MIDI tick resolution

From: Ivan Kuznetsov
Subject: Re: MIDI tick resolution
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:49:02 -0500

Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it possible to change the tick resolution of LilyPond's
> MIDI output to a value other than the default 384? One reason for wanting
> this change is due to the fact that 384 cannot be divided by 5 and so
> quintuplets on a crotchet are not precise.

No, they would not be precise but they would perceptually be
exact enough.  Without knowing precisely how these midi clock
values work, I would imagine that the five notes of a quintuplet
in a MIDI file would have the following clock durations: 77 77 77 77 76.

So what if four notes are of length 77 and one note is length 76?
No one can hear the difference.