Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 12:13:44 -0700 (MST)

I have been using Lilypond + Frescobaldi for all my compositions for the last
8 years or so, including jazz, chamber music, and a symphony. The symphony
is currently at 120 pages, and will probably end up around 170 pages.

I certainly don't rely on continuous engraving — for one thing, if I'm doing
an edit that breaks bar checks, I want to finish editing every staff before
I engrave. For the symphony, engraving takes so long even on a fast computer
that I usually only engrave the bookpart for the movement I'm currently
working on.

I don't use MIDI playback hardly at all. If you want to do a proper MIDI
mockup in a DAW, Lilypond does give you nice and clean MIDI output, though.

A lot of my compositional process takes place in pencil on printed out
incomplete drafts.

I use Git for version control and remote backup of my projects.

Saul