Adding note names to a language

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Adding note names to a language
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:05:28 -0400

I would like to add the basic solfege note names to the english language module so that I can enter music (mostly chant) using solfege and then use `\transpose` to adjust its sounding pitch to create a midi file which can be used for practice. So far, I've done this by editing define-note-names.scm to add the appropriate lines. While this works fine locally, it makes for files which are not portable. Is there a way to add pitch names/aliases in a more portable fashion (i.e. within the music file itself).

%%% BEGIN SNIPPET %%%

\version "2.19.80"

\language "english"

% I need something that will define these note names like adding (do . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 NATURAL)) etc. in the appropriate place in define-note-names.scm does

music = { do re me fa sol la ti do }

\score {
    \new Staff {
        % note the mixing of the solfege names with
        % a traditional english note name in the following line
        \new Voice \transpose do d' \music
    }
    \midi {
        \tempo 4 = 120