Re: double slurs within beamed notes

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: double slurs within beamed notes
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 20:12:39 -0400

Hi Lucas,

> Hm, is this \=1 thing a new feature in the development version? I can’t get
> it to work on 2.18.2.

Might be. Sorry if you can’t take advantage of it. (Related: I recommend you
consider using the "unstable" version regularly: I use it exclusively, for
mission-critical day-to-day work as a professional composer and arranger, and
have problems so seldom that I can say “never” and kind of mean it!)

> I’m guessing that you’re adding slurs to the individual notes of a chord (and
> the \=1, \=2 is probably so that you can distinguish which rparen closes
> which slur), and then you have two objects that can be tweaked individually.
> Which would be a lot less hacky :)

Precisely so.

> One difference to my horrible hack (I think) is that in this case you’re
> shifting a slur that was aligned to a beam, not to the note heads, so I
> assume the slur will not follow the slight upwards slope from the b to the c.
> (You could probably emulate that with some more tweaks or \shape.)

Actually, the slurs *do* [perhaps surprisingly!] align to the notehead — too
closely, in fact, as you can see from the untweaked snippet:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"

stuff = {
  <b'\=1 _( f''\=2 ^(>16 <c''\=1 ) e'' \=2 )>8
  <b'\=1 _( f''\=2 ^(>16 <c''\=1 ) e'' \=2 )>16
  <b'\=1 _( f''\=2 ^(>16 <c''\=1 ) e'' \=2 )>8
}

\score {
  \stuff
}
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

(If you need to, use lilybin.com to see this in the development version.)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info