Re: Dotted notes

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Dotted notes
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 23:20:23 +0200

Hi,

today I'm too tired to work on anything complicated ...
Though, some remarks:

> foxfanfare wrote
> Anyway, I tried your code this morning, but I wasn't able to get the desired
> result. Maybe because I use the 2.19.80 version. I will try again later this
> afternoon.
>
> Okay I tested with the 2.19.81 version but the DotColumn.padding and
> details.dots-padding-factor doesn't seem to work.

Please post some code. so that we can debug what's wrong and why.
The code was developed with 2.19.81 so at least the example works for me.

> On the contrary, the dots
> doesn't collide with the stems anymore!

Really?
I still see a collision with

\paper {
  #(define fonts
    (set-global-fonts
      #:music "beethoven"
      #:brace "beethoven"
      #:factor (/ staff-height pt 20)))
}

{ d'16.. }

> But don't worry Harm, since the
> solution seems to be very difficult to implement and as you said "fragile",

"Difficult" doesn't scare me, Au contraire. Anything else is boring :)

> I will probably let the default output for the dots-dots placement. Too bad,
> this was an option in Sibelius! I guess I'll wait for a next LilyPond
> version which may (or not!) implement this!

This code (\dotsAndDotColumnPadding) will most likely never been
implemented in the source.

Postprocessing a delivered stencil is a _method_ I sometimes use, when
no other method sounds doable.

What should be documented?
- get the stencil-expression
- do the wished modifications with appropriate procedures
- set 'stencil to a new stencil with this new stencil-expression and
appropriate extents
That's all :)

As said, it's a method. Of sort 'last resort' :)

Though, it would be nice to have some user-settable grob-properties :
Probably a padding-property to adjust the space between NoteColumn and
DotColumn and a dot-padding-property to adjust the space between the
dots themselves.

Cheers,
  Harm