Re: How to parenthesise bass note in chord symbol?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to parenthesise bass note in chord symbol?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 14:23:45 +0200

Am So., 7. Okt. 2018 um 00:55 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Am Sa., 6. Okt. 2018 um 23:48 Uhr schrieb Peter Crighton
> > <address@hidden>:
> >>
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I need the bass note of a chord symbol to be in parentheses, like so:
> >> C(/G)
> >>
> >> How could I achieve this? I am, sadly, clueless.
> >>
> >> \version "2.19.82"
> >> \new ChordNames {
> >>   \chordmode {
> >>     % like this, but with only the /G in parentheses -> C(/G)
> >>     \parenthesize c1/g
> >>   }
> >> }
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Peter
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > probably:
> >
> > \new ChordNames
> >   \chordmode {
> >     \set slashChordSeparator = ""
> >     \set chordNoteNamer =
> >     #(lambda (pitch lowercase?)
> >       (make-line-markup (list "(/" (note-name->markup pitch lowercase?)
> > ")")))
>
> I'd have said make-concat-markup instead of make-line-markup, but it
> would appear that word space is removed anyway.  Seems a bit weird to
> me.

Well, word-space is set to 0.0 in the ChordName-grob.
Current definitions for the ChordName uses line-markup with
0.0-word-space at several instances.
Sometimes inserting adjusted hspace-markup where wished (see:
accidental->markup-italian and conditional-kern-before).
Also chordNameSeparator is set to a hspace-markup.

Current implementation obviously is done caring about different
horizontal spacing-wishes.
Not sure whether it's the best possible coding using zero word-space
and adjusted hspace-markups.

Honestly, I stopped any attempt to improve current situation after
"Improving ChordNames" became a GSoC-project.

Cheers,
  Harm