Changing clef automatically when pitch falls between a user-defined rang

From: elmeri
Subject: Changing clef automatically when pitch falls between a user-defined range of pitches
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:21:22 +0300

Hey ML,

I asked a similar question on the Music Practice & Theory Stack Exchange site, and I was told that the idea of changing clef automatically is - in most cases - a bad idea, at least musically/practically speaking. Nevertheless, I would like to ask for pointers as to how to accomplish this with pre-existing LilyPond capabilities or just try to implement it myself -- I am not at all familiar with the codebase.

The ideal situation would be that there's some kind of \clefAutoChange or similar command, and a mechanism to override the changing points would also be provided. This also needs to work for \transpose'd music. For example, a cellist told me that when there's a passage that lingers long enough above E1 (but not too much above A1 or so), the music is usually written with the tenor clef. A similar rule (of thumb) applies to viola music and its use of the treble clef, bassoon music etc.

Any pointers or thoughts on this?

Thank you,

-Elmo

P.S. here is the link to the SE question: https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/75217/how-to-change-clef-automatically-when-note-falls-between-a-certain-range-in-lily/