Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:03:06 +0200

Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote
>> Anything wrong with using a callback?
>
> No, not at all, callbacks are fine and do solve the problem..
> But given the fact that "aligning to the baseline" is specific to text so
> that different up/down staff-padding values are rather the rule than the
> exception, I thought it'd be nicer to simply say something like
>
>   \override TextScript.staff-padding = #'(3 . 4)
>
> instead of having to define a custom callback function for a standard
> situation.

Given how often this occurs, maybe we should create some function for
that purpose rather than putting pairs everywhere in peacemeal?

The principal question is what to do when the event does not have an
explicit direction.  Then one would have to refer to the grob callback
instead, maybe?

--
David Kastrup