Re: fonts not working as expected

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: fonts not working as expected
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:49:01 -0700

On 2018-10-29 1:40 pm, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Abraham,

I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry, tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine.

Is that also true if you use Alegreya Black?

Update: What’s now happening is that using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium")

outputs visible markup, styled in Alegreya [Regular] — the base
document font — whereas using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black")

outputs nothing (i.e., blank where there should be markup). All three
font names appear in Frescobaldi’s auto-complete menu and Lilypond’s
“show available fonts”…

Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?

In all three situations — no override, and with each of the two
overrides seen above — the PDF contains *only* a reference to

    /BaseFont/XTCUKI+Alegreya-Regular/FontDescriptor

at least in "clear text".

Ugh…

Probably not what you want to hear but I also am unable to reproduce this behavior.

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
#(define lorem "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.")
\markup #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Regular") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Regular Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium Italic") #lorem
\markup \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black Italic") #lorem
%%%%

For reference, I am running 2.19.82 Lilypond under Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS. I downloaded version v2.007 of the fonts from the GitHub [1] and manually copied the OTF files to /usr/share/fonts/opentype.

[1]: https://github.com/huertatipografica/Alegreya/releases

I can only recommend that you uninstall the fonts and try reinstalling them. ("Have you tried turning if off and on again?" -- Roy Trenneman, IT Crowd) Perhaps the site where you originally obtained the fonts are distributing an older version that has a rare compatibility issue. It could potentially explain why those of us that have tried have not hit the issue.

-- Aaron Hill