Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 23:05:47 -0800

On 2018-11-23 4:42 pm, Andrew Bernard wrote:
I am curious then as to why it all works fine for me and presumably others?

Sounds like a Mac font problem to me, given my other current experience
with Alegreya, as initially raised by Kieren.

Or has 2.19.82 been rebuilt since I downloaded it some time ago?

I may be wrong!

Just checked, and the PDFs on the site have not been changed and are still broken.

If your PDF viewer is able to locate and use the fonts that LilyPond contains within its installation and/or you have those fonts installed, then it'll seem to work for you. For instance, I tried manually installing one of the Emmentaler fonts and some of the notation rendered as expected.

But the PDFs definitely do not have the fonts embedded, so they *should* be broken for nearly all users, since it would be uncommon to have the notation fonts installed. And considering the notation fonts change from release to release, it does not make sense to ever have them installed. A PDF for a particular version of LilyPond should reflect the state of the fonts at that point in time, not try to use whatever version the user might have installed. Hence why font embedding is so important.

-- Aaron Hill