Re: Frescobaldi?

From: Hajo Baess
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 08:49:01 +0000

Would it maybe make things a bit easier to leave the whole MacOS
business aside and take care of the Linux-specific stuff first? And
what actually about Windows - out of curiosity. I myself am a Linux
user (Mint), and so far Frescobaldi is still running flawlessly.

And - another question out of curiosity: Could it be a workaround (if
Qt5 would be officially retired and no longer be available in the repos
of the "big" distros like Mint, Ubuntu and the like) if one used a
distro for older computers which might stick to Qt5 much longer?

At any rate the present state of affairs is really sad, since
Frescobaldi just is a masterpiece of software for its purpose. I have
looked at a couple of alternatives, but I was less convinced of them.

Maybe in case Frescobaldi one day will not run any more, I need to
return to a combination of a good text editor and a PDF viewer like I
had many years ago when I was still a Mac user. I had TeXShop and Skim,
and that worked well enough. And then I also sometimes used
LilyPondTool which in the meantime is defunct as well, but was a
similar approach to editing LilyPond files as Frescobaldi.

This is the moment when I wish I'd be a programmer, but I am afraid the
learning curve for helping out with Frescobaldi would be way to steep
for me...