linphone-developers

Re: [Linphone-developers] SIP address or phone number:

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] SIP address or phone number:
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:18:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 08:53:25PM +0200, Simon Morlat wrote:

> To clarify:
> - tel: is not handled
> - sip:84934013849 is resolved as an ENUM (using e164 dns service)
> - a number or a username is resolved as 'sip:<number or username>@<my default
> proxy> , whenever you are registered or not. If there is no default proxy
> set, this is invalid and linphone should throw an error.
>
> A possible improvement would be that, if no default proxy is set, a number
> is resolved like an enum, whenever there sip: or not before.  Another
> possible improvement should be to handle properly tel: .

I think Linhpone could have global or per-proxy setting as follows:

* What to do with plain phone number:
    - Resolve locally via DNS (ENUM)
    - Pass to proxy as tel: URI
    - Pass to proxy as sip: URI (This case could have configurable substition
      like "<sip:address@hidden>")

It's worth noting a phone number has formating varying from country to
country. I saw spaces, dashes, parenthesis.

Other problem is leading plus at "fully qualified" international numbers. tel:
URI defines it should be preserved to inform about it. I'm not sure about sip:
URI. Is plus allowed at the begining of user part? Be ware that different
operators expand the plus sign into different digit prefixes ("00" in Europe,
"1" in USA). This translation in case of sip: encapsulation should be
parametrized too.

-- Petr