linphone-developers

Re: [Linphone-developers] bzrtp support for AES with 256-bit keys

From: Test Sv
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] bzrtp support for AES with 256-bit keys
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 05:00:38 -0800

Hello;

Nice job by the developers team at Simlar. It is an important new capability to
linphone that many users needed and would like to use.

In general, aes-256 is highly recommended as by far the best encryption method
currently available.  Although, there are well known serious vulnerabilities in
some of the implementations for aes-256 which undermind the algorithm. Few
years ago, at least one serious vulnerability was identified in zrtp, and was
corrcted later by most of people.

Therefore, aes-256 should be the default encryption on linphone that is
automatically available to the user out of the box after installation (i.e.
without having to go to the settings menu). Users who are interested in down
grading to the aes-128, they can go to the settings menu to do so. Those users
should know that most of people can crack aes-128 without any difficulty.

To the best of my knowledge, linphone and bzrtp never been subjected to an
indepedent and complete security audit. There are several organizations in
Russia and Europe that provide such a highly specialized audit.

Keep up the good work Simlar.

Cheers;