listhelper-moderate

Auto-discard notification

From: quilt-dev-bounces
Subject: Auto-discard notification
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:50:07 -0400

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1) Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:49:26 -0700
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:34:46 +0200 Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 02:28, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So I would suggest that in quilt and other systems, you either:
> >
> >  - strip all headers manually
> >
> >  - forget about "patch", and use "git-apply" instead that does things
> >    right and doesn't screw up like this (and can do rename diffs etc too).
> >
> > I guess the second choice generally isn't an option, but dammit,
> > "git-apply" really is the better program here.
>
> I'm in bit of a conflict with choice one: when applying patches in an
> automated build process or similar, the likely way to do so is a simple loop
> over the series file. So the less magic when applying patches with quilt, the
> better.
>
> Turning off the insane heuristic with patch -u will do well enough I hope.
> Quilt does not use that option by default because it also supports context
> diffs (some people / projects prefer them), but that can easily be customized
> in .quiltrc:
>
>     QUILT_PATCH_OPTS=-u

I guess one could try `patch -p1' and if that failed, `patch -p1 -u'.

But the problem is that patch will get stuck in interactive mode prompting
for a filename.  I've never actually worked how to make patch(1) just fail
rather than going interactive, not that I've tried terribly hard.  Any
hints there?

Thanks.

--- End Message ---