lmi

Re: [lmi] Quoting in diagnostic messages

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Quoting in diagnostic messages
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:26:14 +0100

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:45:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Wendy pointed out that messages like
GC>   Value '' invalid
GC> for empty strings are too easy to misread as
GC>   Value " invalid
GC> or even
GC>   Value "invalid
GC> with default msw fonts.

 This is why I think using double quotes is better.

        Value "" is invalid.

looks quite readable IMHO.

GC> I think it would be best to spend our time instead on adding a
GC> facility to copy the contents of the 'diagnostics' static-text
GC> control.

 This is very useful regardless of the other considerations, of course.

GC> I tried making it a wxTE_READONLY | wxTE_NOHIDESEL
GC> wxTextCtrl, but the builtin msw right-click handler wouldn't
GC> copy its contents;

 This is strange, it should. I might look into this if you wish. Also note
that in any case you can copy wxTextCtrl contents by selecting it and doing
Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Ins.

GC> so I think we'd be better off leaving it as a wxStaticText control

 It's possible but wxTextCtrl is simpler...

 Regards,
VZ