lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Unable to use gdb

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Unable to use gdb
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:44:55 +0100

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:45:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> + inline wxString wx_string_workaround(char const* s)
GC> + {
GC> +     return *new wxString(s);
GC> + }
GC> +
GC>   Skeleton::Skeleton()
GC>       :doc_manager_ (0)
GC>       ,frame_       (0)
GC>   {
GC> -    SetAppName("lmi_wx");
GC> -    SetVendorName("lmi");
GC> +    SetAppName   (wx_string_workaround("lmi_wx"));
GC> +    SetVendorName(wx_string_workaround("lmi"   ));
GC>     config_ = wxConfigBase::Get();
GC>   }
GC>
GC> but that gave the same result:
GC>   Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
GC>
GC> Am I calling these functions in the right place? I thought
GC> I had to call them before wxConfigBase::Get(), and I thought
GC> I should call wxConfigBase::Get() in the ctor of the class
GC> derived from wxApp.

 Hello,

 you should indeed call them before wxConfigBase::Get() but even if you
don't it shouldn't prevent you from being able to use the debugger. I don't
see this problem here and I really think that this is something which has
to be solved at tool level and not at the code level. If the debugger fails
to work in such strange way(s), you can't trust it anyhow so IMHO the only
solution is to find the debugger version which works.

 It is strange that gdb 6.3 doesn't work for you though because it does
work for me (or at least used to) but OTOH I did see reports of similar(ly)
mysterious problems with mingw32 and gdb on wx-users mailing list so it's
not something totally unheard of.

 Unfortunately it all boils down to one thing only: I don't know how to
help you and I just hope that by (re)installing mingw32/msys/gdb once again
the problem can be solved. I can give you any information you need about my
system if you want to narrow down any differences between your system and
mine.

 Regards,
VZ