lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] calculation summaries

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] calculation summaries
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:54:02 +0200

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:19:50 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Please do propose a new format.

 In addition to posting here an example of the new format I'd also like to
create an XML schema for validation of the documents in this format. This
will take some extra time but I strongly believe that we need a schema
anyhow and having it right now will be useful for the format discussions.

GC> The titles are a mess: " _____ __They __Look __Like __This"
GC> because we couldn't figure out how to make apache FOP render them

 I believe we have a solution for this: use display-align and text-align
attributes of fo:table-cell tag, e.g. to align a table cell to bottom-right
the following construct should be used:

        <fo:table-cell display-align="after" text-align="right">

The only other thing is that words in column titles should be CR-separated
(Eugene, please correct me if I'm wrong).

GC> Will it be possible to use a library instead of xsltproc?

 Yes, sure, sorry for being unclear about it. We used xsltproc just for
testing, but actually xsltproc is a very simple program using libxslt and
we definitely plan to use the library calls directly instead of launching
an external program.

GC> and it seems that we can link libxslt directly:
GC>   http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/API.html
GC> but have you tried that yet?

 No (ideally we'd do it after libxmlpp_branch merge) but I don't foresee
any problems with it.

GC> Your plan seems perfect. My only concern is making sure we can
GC> build the necessary libraries. According to this page:
GC>   http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/downloads.html
GC> we'd need these four:
GC>   libxml2
GC>   libxml2-devel
GC>   libxslt
GC>   libxslt-devel
GC> We've been using libxml2-2.6.19 for some time, and we know that
GC> it builds right out of the box with MSYS. Have you tried building
GC> the others for msw?

 Yes, they do build fine.

 To summarize, I believe we have your green light for starting to implement
this plan so this is what we're going to do -- starting from writing the
spec for the XML format for data files. Please let me know if I
misinterpreted you.

 Thanks,
VZ