lmi

Re: [lmi] still MSVC compilation problems

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] still MSVC compilation problems
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 03:21:04 +0000

On 2008-06-22 02:11Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[snip patch]

> What do you think about this? It does, of course, use an ugly untyped get()
> function and correspondingly uses static_cast to the right type when we
> need to access it later but it doesn't look to be much worse to me than the
> existing static_cast to holder_type

I need to look at this when I'm more awake. At first glance, I somewhat
balk at (void*). However:

> Would this be
> acceptable

At a minimum, I'd need to test this with several compilers first.

> or, if not, could we at least use this version for MSVC while
> keeping the old one for the other compilers?

I'm certainly willing to do it conditionally for msvc.

What macro would be appropriate for an msvc conditional?

>  Finally, I still have unit test failures after this change:
[...]
> but they seem to be due to the difference between the expected and real
> value of std::type::info::name() so I think I should just add tests for
> MSVC into any_member_test.cpp along the existing tests for g++ version. Do
> you see anything wrong with this?

Nothing wrong with that. Testing the value of std::type::info::name()
is fragile, but we're already doing it for other compilers, and I'd
rather not spend time thinking about removing that fragility right now.