lmi

Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:02:24 +0000

On 2008-10-02 15:09Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 14:23 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
>> Let me ask you to convert them, too, please. Consistency is a good
>> enough reason. Another good reason is that firefox doesn't display the
>> XPM icons that I have embedded in html help (though wxHTML does), and
>> I'd like the user manual to be browsable online. Using your PNG icons
>> in the html solves the firefox problem.
>
> Here's how to do it:
[snip step-by-step process]
> I think it would be best for me to do this myself so that you don't have
> to redo the steps I already did, but I would appreciate your review of
> the patch from step 3. and its test_coding_rules* part in particular.

I was just about to begin doing that myself, so your message arrived
at the perfect moment. My immediate goal is to fix the worst problems
in the html help files now (before we add a group of brand-new users
at the end of this month), so that I can move on to another pressing
project. (The most direct way to fix one of the html help problems
(quoted above) was to commit your patch
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6597
but suppress scaling for now--there's someone here who's interested
in designing 16x16 icons, so we can defer that a while longer.)

Again quoting your suggestion:
> I think it would be best for me to do this myself
let me ask whether there's anything else you want to do other than
the three steps you listed:

> 1. Convert remaining XPM files into PNGs with ImageMagick:
>    $ for i in *.xpm ; do convert $i `basename $i .xpm`.png ; done
>    $ rm -f *.xpm

It would indeed be most helpful if you would do that, because I don't
think I have ImageMagick installed.

> 2. Change references to XPMs to PNGs in data files:
>    $ sed --in-place -e 's/\.xpm/.png/g' *.html
>    $ sed --in-place -e 's/\.xpm/.png/g' *.xrc
>    (in docs and sources local copies respectively)

If you really prefer to run those commands and send me a patch, then
I guess I won't object; but probably I can do that as easily myself.
The real work is making sure everything is correct: for instance,
 - #include "foo.xpm" // For X, I guess?
 + #include "foo.png"
would apparently be a mistake.

> 3. Apply the patch below to remove XPMs stuff from makefiles and
>    sources.
[...]
> I would appreciate your review of
> the patch from step 3. and its test_coding_rules* part in particular.

Okay, I'll do that soon.

As for step (1) and anything else that you propose to do yourself,
let me ask whether you can conveniently do it all now. Here's why
I ask: I plan to make many changes to the html text, and furthermore
I plan to divide 'user_manual_contents.html' into several separate
pages. Those changes are only handwritten today, but I'd like to type
them in over the next couple of days. It would be easier to make all
the XPM to PNG changes first, and I certainly don't want to invalidate
any patch you're working on by restructuring the html immediately.