lmi

Re: [lmi] Ledger::write() -- adding DOCTYPE support to xmlwrapp?

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Ledger::write() -- adding DOCTYPE support to xmlwrapp?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:06:25 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 02:11 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> First of all: if you personally feel that this should be done,
> on its own merits, just because it makes xmlwrapp a better
> library,

I don't want to add things that we -- or _somebody_ -- don't need; more
often than not, it turns out it could be done better when somebody
actually starts using it.

> 'eraseme_xsl/sample.xml' is what we had used in production,
> approximately in [20070614T1810Z, 20081114T0506Z), and it has
> no DOCTYPE. That strongly suggests that no DOCTYPE is needed.

As far as I know, DOCTYPE indeed isn't needed by libxslt/libxml2. That
is, unless you enable DTD validation in libxml2, in which case
DOCTYPE-less XML files will fail to load.

I wasn't sure if the files weren't used for something other than
transformation to xsl-fo, where the DOCTYPE might be needed. If it
isn't, then I fully agree it's best to simply remove this code as you
did.

Thanks,
Vaclav