lmi

Re: [lmi] InputSequence questions

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] InputSequence questions
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:25:47 +0100

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 11:56 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Could that series of keystrokes be replaced by something simpler? E.g.:
>   alt-A [or some other single keystroke] for "Add"
>   Tab to move from the "age" last entered to the new "value"
> so that Tab doesn't have to be used to get to "Add" and back.

Or, in Vadim's version of the UI, pressing Tab on the age field would
add a new row and move focus to its value field.

> Can we identify an existing application that already behaves this way?
> It's becoming difficult for me to envision all these possibilities.

I think I used some app behaving like that in the past, but I can't
recall what it was, sorry. I think it will be best if I put something
incomplete but usable (say, with keyboard control, but without parsing
and saving of the sequences) together quickly so that we have some
binaries to play with.

> > "Until maturity" would only be available in the last row (and grayed out
> > in others, instead of just omitting it, to emphasize it's only valid on
> > the last row).
>
> This seems like an attractive idea, and I think it makes the "Add"
> button unnecessary.

Yes.

> > OTOH, it adds visual noise to the dialog: both static (duplicated
> > information; too much information) and dynamic (UI changes in places you
> > don't directly interact with at the moment).
>
> This is a tough decision. Is there anything like this extra column
> in any existing application we could look at?

I have never seen it. But you made a strong point about this: it makes a
row self-contained and readable in itself. Vadim likes it too and as he
says, it will be easy to remove this column if we start by adding it.

Regards,
Vaclav