lmi

Re: [lmi] Annotation: xml attribute or element?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Annotation: xml attribute or element?
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:09:59 +0200

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:39:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Am I right in supposing that this is really an arbitrary choice
GC> between two alternatives that are equally good from a technical POV?

 The only important difference between using attributes and elements AFAIK
is that you may have multiple elements but you may not have multiple
attributes with the same name. Because of this unique by definition
properties such as id or name are usually specified as attributes.

 However "annotation" doesn't seem to fit in this category because even if
there is at most one annotation per item today it's not difficult to
imagine that there might be several of them in the future. So I wouldn't
use an attribute for it. And I also agree with Vaclav's points and his
conclusion.

 Regards,
VZ