lmi

Re: [lmi] Anomaly in wx-2.9.2 documentation

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Anomaly in wx-2.9.2 documentation
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 14:37:25 +0000

On 2011-08-04 13:19Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:55:14 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> In
> GC>   http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.9.2/classwx_data_view_list_model.html
> GC> I see:
> GC>
> GC> unsigned int      GetCount () const
> GC>   Returns the number of items (i.e.
>
>  This is because Doxygen stops the brief description at first period
> [unless it's followed by non space, apparently]. I don't know if there is
> some way to escape periods but for now I just replaced the use of "i.e.",
> see http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/68519.

That 'trac' entry says:
| Just avoid using periods for now inside the brief description. Maybe a better
| solution could be found in the future.

AIUI, British usage often eliminates the periods (full stops): e.g., they'd
write "ie". See:
  http://www.york.ac.uk/communications/publications/writing/style-guide/
| ie No full stop afterwards
| eg No full stop after
That's Julian's university IIRC, and wx already favours some British spellings
over American ones--eg, Centre and Colour--so I'd just drop the full stops.
I can assure you that all literate Americans will understand this, eg because
we all read The Economist.

In abbreviations you might instead use some funky Unicode letter that looks like
a full stop (eg, U+2024 ONE DOT LEADER), but that's just too nasty to consider.