lmi

Re: [lmi] Input-sequence editor testing

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Input-sequence editor testing
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 14:04:54 +0000

On 2011-07-09 16:29Z, Greg Chicares wrote:

> [...] I think this is a complete list of
> your pending patches [postponing Vadim's, which are independent]:
>
> 20100901vs.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2010-09/msg00000.html
> 20110226vs.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-02/msg00000.html
> 20110321vs.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00002.html
> 20110329vs-1.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00007.html
> 20110329vs-2.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00006.html
> 20110329vs-3.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00005.html
> 20110413vs.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-04/msg00002.html
>     [...a -1.patch file here was superseded on 20110705...]
> 20110629vs-2.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-06/msg00057.html
> 20110705vs.patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-07/msg00005.html

These have all been applied to lmi HEAD except for these two:
  20110329vs-1.patch
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00007.html
  20110329vs-2.patch
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-03/msg00006.html
which aren't needed yet, but are prerequisites for your 2011-07-17 patches.
Otherwise, we're synchronized through 2011-07-05. I may soon make a few further
changes discussed between the fifth and the seventeenth of July. Then, our plan
is
to release what's in HEAD so far to end users at the end of this month. Reasons:

(1) That's as much as we can test thoroughly at this time.

(2) Only two specialized input-sequence types are exposed to the editor today.
Others
    must be added, and that calls for a substantial amount of fairly delicate
work.

(3) From the end users' POV, the GUI editor for input sequences represents
tangible
    progress, and is immediately useful in its own right. It's more likely to be
    understood, and its value to be appreciated, if it's released separately,
so that
    it doesn't compete for attention with the 2011-07-17 "inplace editing"
patches.

Once work for the August month-end release (ie, (2) above) is finished, I may
apply
the remaining patches in such a way as to mask them from end users but expose
them
for our own testing, if I find an easy-enough way to do that. I'd like to get
the
whole series of patches applied and begin testing without inordinate delay.