lmi

Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 01:28:30 +0100

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 15:06:26 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2008-08-30 22:22Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
GC> > On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 13:38 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >> Then again, is it really bad or unusual to display no icon next to
GC> >> any menuitem whatsoever?
GC> >
GC> > It depends on the platform. OS X, for example, never uses any menu icons
GC> > (which you could argue is circumstantial evidence that usability
GC> > benefits of having the icons are relatively minor, given OS X's
GC> > usability record). On the other hand, GTK+/GNOME apps do use them for
GC> > "stock" actions and any app not using them looks a bit out of place. On
GC> > Windows, consistency among apps is nonexistent, so it's hard to say.
GC>
GC> In 'menus.xrc', some <bitmap> elements has 'platform="win"', while others
GC> did not; and the ones that didn't weren't all GTK "stock" actions. So I
GC> added 'platform="win"' to everything revision 6026 (20141106T1452Z). Now
GC> the code is uniform, and does the expected thing for msw and osx. As for
GC> GTK, it doesn't do the expected thing, but at least it's not random; I'd
GC> welcome a patch that writes 'platform="unix|win"' where appropriate, but
GC> I'm personally not exactly sure which actions are "stock" for GTK.

 Let me start by saying that all this probably doesn't matter anyhow as
recent GTK+ versions use a policy preventing the display of icons in the
menus. I think it's a pity, not so much because I liked them that much
(although, on balance, I think I prefer having some icons to having none of
them, even though having icons for all items was clearly a problem), but
because I regret that GTK+ people think they have to copy OS X in
everything.

 Having said this, I admit that I don't really understand the changes of
r6026. Previously the use of platform="win" made sense to me: it was there
to avoid overriding the standard GTK+ icons for stock menu items. Now it
just disables all icons under GTK which, assuming the icons are enabled in
the first place, would result in the stock icons being used for stock items
but LMI icons not being used.

 Why is this better than before?
VZ