lmi

Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing, revisited

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing, revisited
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 02:58:18 +0000

Some tests expect <default_input_filename> to exist, so I thought
I'd experiment with that. My 'configurable_settings.xml' has:
  <default_input_filename>C:/etc/opt/lmi/default.ill</default_input_filename>
and normally no such file exists on my machine. But I do keep an
old file 'Xdefault.illX' there, which I can easily rename for
testing...so I renamed it to 'default.ill' and ran 'wx_test'.

I was surprised that this messagebox appeared:

lmi...
---------------------------
Do you want to save changes to unnamed1?
---------------------------
Yes   No   Cancel

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I have a guess: the old
file I'm using is version six, whereas version seven is current.

Consulting 'input_xml_io.cpp':
/// version 6: 20100719T1349Z
/// version 7: 20120808T2130Z
if you grab 'sample.ill' from the online repository as of summer
2010 or so, then I'm guessing you'll be able to reproduce this.

In normal operation, it is perfectly okay to load an old input
file. And if you do "Ctrl-T", and the default input file is old,
and you hit Enter without changing anything yourself, then the
input has nonetheless been modified by the backward-compatibility
code, so it's appropriately flagged as "modified". If you then
try to close it, you'll get a messagebox as above.

In GUI-test operation, somebody else will have to say what should
happen. I think binary distributions include a default input file
that is supposed to use the latest file version and also to
respect some other constraints; such usage would be disabled by
not specifying the '--distribution' option recently proposed.
If 'wx_test' uses this file for any other purpose, we'll have to
figure out what it should do.