lmi

Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing, revisited

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Automated GUI testing, revisited
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 04:02:08 +0100

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 12:54:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> This raises the question where these test files should
GC> reside.

 I am not sure who is supposed to answer this question. If I had to do it,
I'd say that this directory probably needs to be configurable as these
files seem to be located in an environment-dependent directory and I don't
see how can we accommodate everybody with anything fixed.

GC> My configuration directory, as seen above, is
GC>   C:/etc/opt/lmi
GC> and I don't want any input files in /etc/ because that
GC> directory is only for things like configuration files.
GC> If someone else wants to place the default input file
GC> elsewhere, and put input files there, too, then I don't
GC> need to object to that practice; but I do object to
GC> following it myself. Is there any reason why files used
GC> by 'wx_test' should be put in that particular directory
GC> instead of the directory where 'wx_test' resides?

 Assuming there is a reason to keep them there (i.e. I guess that this is
how things are in the "distribution" environment), the only way I see to
still make it work for both you and this case is to simply look in the
current working directory -- and run wx_test from different locations. This
would be also relatively convenient to me when running MSVC-built
wx_test.exe.

 But I can't earnestly recommend relying on the current working directory,
this risks being too fragile and surprising. So my, complicated but
reliable, solution would be to add some --test-data-path command line
option to specify this directory explicitly.

 Or, unless we discard the idea of having the configuration file
completely, make this configurable via the same file. This has the
advantage of being much more flexible and extensible, of course.

 What do you think?
VZ