lmi

Re: [lmi] mcenum_emission: bit mask or not?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] mcenum_emission: bit mask or not?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 20:03:47 +0200

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 19:18:01 +0200 I wrote:

Me>  Of course, this still leaves mce_emit_composite_only, mce_emit_quietly and
Me> mce_emit_timings which are clearly meant to be combined with other enum
Me> elements. But mce_emit_timings is not used at all anywhere and so should be
Me> just removed.

 Oops, sorry, actually trying removing it and running the tests showed the
limits of my static code analysis[*] approach: it turns out that it is used
via --emit=emit_timings option of main_cli.cpp, so it probably can't be
removed finally.

 Maybe I should amend my proposal to split mcenum_emission in two: one
containing most of its elements in a normal enum and another bit mask enum
with just mce_emit_{composite_only,quietly,timings} that would be passed
using an independent "int flags = 0" argument to the illustrator class
ctor. This would minimize the amount of changes even further yet still have
all the benefits mentioned in my original email.

 Would this be acceptable?
VZ